Dysphagia and Mealtime management
Our speech pathologists are qualified and experienced in diagnosing and managing swallowing difficulties, they do this by:
- taking a case history
- examining the participant’s mouth and throat
- developing a mealtime management plan
- providing safe swallowing strategies
- providing recommendations for other assessments e.g., modified barium swallow (x-ray of
- the swallowing process while the participant is eating or drinking)
In November 2021, the NDIS implemented some changes for people with a disability who have Support Workers assisting them at mealtimes. The standards apply to any participants that:
Require support staff to assist them at mealtimes by modifying food or feeding them.
Participants who have severe dysphagia (difficulties swallowing, eating or drinking).
Our speech pathologists are available to provide assessment, consultation and training to participants and providers. Along with our training packages, we provide, extensive mealtime management resources include our Dysphagia and mealtime management booklet.